The Mineral School District, home of eScholar Academy, is situated at an elevation of 4,500 feet, just six miles west of the entrance to Lassen Volcanic National Park and forty-five miles east of Red Bluff, California on Interstate 5. The district has a seventy year history of providing quality educational programs to the students who live in the surrounding areas.
As a result of a forward thinking community, the Mineral School District Board of Trustees created eScholar Academy, with the intent of offering an alternative environment to "at risk" students. Our intent is to use computers as an instructional tool, allowing students to learn "anytime", "anyplace", at any "anypace."
Currently, we are in our eleventh year of operation serving slightly over 150 students. Students can attend on-site at our learning center located in Red Bluff or complete their course work from anywhere they can access the Internet.
We believe that the learning process is characterized by a need for ongoing feedback from within one's self and from the input of others. Both internal and external feedback, based on conversations between the teacher, student and parents, Personalized instruction brings life to the process and helps to bring about learning. eScholar Academy teachers are 'motivators' who encourage. They are 'guides' who help lead and direct students to reach their goals.
The learning environment is:
- Continuous - not dependent on time and place or students pace.
- Relevant - where content and curriculum is current and meaningful to the learner.
- Adaptive - where instruction adapts to the needs of the individual learner.
Expected School Learning Results (ESLERs)
Students will learn to be:
- Self-directed learners - who are able to demonstrate self-motivation, self-discipline and responsibility to accomplish achievable goals.
- Effective communicators - who are able to read, write, speak and listen reflectively and critically with a sense of purpose within a group and to an audience; as well as use technology effectively as a communication tool.
- Productive and collaborative workers - who take pride in participating successfully and equitably in group projects, and use effective leadership and group skills with problem solving and critical thinking strategies to solve everyday problems.
- Contributing members of society - who understand, accept and respect the value of diverse viewpoints, beliefs and cultures, which will enable them to make informed, responsible decisions.
Experienced California Credentialed Teachers who are experts in their academic fields. Educational Programs which are individualized to each students ability, needs and learning styles. Open entry/open exit enrollment allowing for flexible scheduling of instruction and study. Computerized curriculum that allows for speedy and up-to-date instruction in all programs of study. Adaptive technology for students with disabilities.