Planning for college - What you should consider during the 9th and 10th grades
Tips for 9th and 10th grade students
- Select a strong high school academic course of study – take tough courses!
- Develop strong study skills and time management techniques.
- Develop a reading plan that includes novels, newspapers, magazines, and nonfiction books. These activities build a strong vocabulary.
- Get involved in a wide variety of activities. Choose activities that show leadership and involvement. Participate in activities both inside and outside of school.
- Set up a filing system that keeps track of awards, honors, activities, volunteer work, employment etc. Include everything!
- Take the PLAN and PSAT tests.
- Start exploring college and major options – start thinking about geography, size of school, and why you want to go to college in general? What do you value?
- Plan meaningful summer activities such as internships related to future career ideas, volunteer work, summer classes, and arts/sports programs.
- Consider taking the SAT II tests when you finish a college prep subject area such as Biology or World History.
- Most importantly, keep those grades up!